The body and mind are inseparable.
The method used by Rubenfeld Synergists is centered in the understanding that bodymind is inseparable. Memories, thoughts, and emotions are stored in the vast network of our body’s nervous system, vital organs, and sensory apparatus. Our bodymind speaks to us through how we move, hold our bodies, experience pleasure and pain, relate to others. Synergists teach us to notice the language and metaphors of our nervous system and how, with awareness, they can guide us to greater physical and emotional freedom.
What is the Rubenfeld Synergy Method®?
Through a combination of talk and touch, this healing modality works directly with the nervous system to put the body, mind, emotions and spirit in conversation with each other. Synergists are highly trained in respectful touch, emotional groundedness, and responsive listening. When combined, these techniques provide support and safety for our clients. Over the past 60 years, Certified Rubenfeld Synergists have helped their clients get in deeper touch with their bodies and make space for fresh perspectives, hope and positive change. By exploring new movement in a compassionate environment, clients can find new ways of feeling, thinking, and living in their bodies.
How can RSM® help?
What can I expect in a session?
- Clients lie fully clothed on a bodywork table or sit in a chair.
- Synergists are present with an intention of safety, support, and listening.
- Using gentle touch and guiding talk, Synergists can help clients become more aware of their bodies, emotions, and stories.
- Through listening, talk, and touch, Synergists tune in and respond, helping clients to stay with and explore sensations and emotions in the present moment
- Listening to one’s own words and sensations acknowledged and reflected by another can introduce self-compassion and curiosity
- Stories clients have known for years can move into new understanding
- Sensations can become information, informing the client of new and old awarenesses
- Clients can make new connections, have deep realizations, and release powerful emotions often not available to them through talk alone
Ilana Rubenfeld – creator of RSM®
An acclaimed music conductor from Julliard with immobilizing back pain, Ilana Rubenfeld trained in Gestalt Therapy with Fritz and Laura Perls, F.M. Alexander Technique, and Feldenkrais Method and declared in the 1960’s, “bodymind is one word!” She recognized that when she simultaneously listened, talked and touched, people learned to listen to themselves. They also found wisdom, emotional freedom and ease from within.