Life is like the flow of a river, filled with twists and turns, ups and downs. There’s the calm, steady flow and the wild rapids.
One minute we’re on top of the world and the next minute we just want to crawl under our duvet and never come out again. Then there is everything in between.
Challenges arise along the way and sometimes we might feel stuck with no way out. If there is a blockage in any area of life, it is exhausting.
The reason is that it takes a lot of energy to stop things or to hold them. This stuck energy can manifest as physical, emotional or intellectual exhaustion. It can be subconscious but we feel and often see the results. Many of us spend time looking outside ourselves for the answers to life’s challenges, in truth everything we need is within us. Our body in constant communication with us, sending messages, and like a child having a temper tantrum, it will get louder and louder until we give it our attention.
The good news is that there is always a way through the hard places. It’s not about changing who you are, it’s about understanding who you are.
And it begins by becoming aware of our current state. This awareness allows us to understand when and why and how we feel the way we do, so we can work with our body and emotions, not against them.
By embodying our emotions in the moment we can empower our life. When we begin to tune into our body, listen to its signals and choose how we react, our life changes and we can begin living a life we choose. A life we love. We choose who and how we want to show up in the world. The power is in our awareness. The awareness is our choice.
Are you fully living the life you want to live? Being who you want to be? If not, you could start now. Follow these simple steps and begin to tune in:
Take 3- 5 minutes for yourself in a quiet place and do the following exercise:
Find a position that is comfortable for you, sitting, standing, walking or lying down.
- Take a deep breath in.
- Rub your hands together and tune into the sensation. Are they cold? Hot? Dry? Sweaty? Soft? Hard?
- How do your hands feel? Tender? Tentative? Confidant? Loving? Angry?
- Explore your hands, feel your fingers.
- Notice what you are aware of in yourself as you tune into your sense of touch. There is no right or wrong, good or bad…. simply say hello to what’s there for you right now.
- Now that we are aware of our hands, we can use them to connect with other parts of our body and begin tuning in, and listening to what are body is telling us.